Pages

Sunday, December 26, 2010

meet the dogs: Daisy

I think that it is important for you to know the dogs.  This blog is named "five dog house" and while it isn't a strict "dog blog", these animals are a major part of my life, and will show up around here quite a bit.  I thought i'd introduce them so that you know who is who, and what they are like, if you don't know them already.  We'll start with Dasiy. 

Daisy is a pit bull/border collie cross who came to us 3 years ago.  We found her at the SPCA and I knew from the moment I saw her listing on the internet that she was my dog.  How, I don't know.  But it was one of the only clear "messages" I've ever had in my life.  I saw her there on the website and instantly I knew.  I didn't know how it would go over when I mentioned it to Adam though, because we certainly were NOT looking for another dog.



But, there she was, and something in me knew that there was more to the story for me and her.  So, we went to meet her.  Right away, we made it official and sprang her from the big house and didn't look back.  She fit in from the moment we came home, taking on a roll as a family dog and being perfectly faithful.  She is the dog lying at your feet when you do the dishes, and sleeping on the cold, wet bathmat when you shower because she'd rather be with you than curled up in front of the fire.  Faithful Dog sacrifices her own comfort for your safety, and being with you at all times insures she can watch over you like her ancestors watched over the sheep.


On top of being faithful, Daisy is smart and incredibly active.  She can crash through the bush after any small rodent or bird, leaping fallen trees and streams with ease.  While she's never actually caught anything (the jingle in her tags gives the woodland creatures fair warning) her heaven would be populated with many squirrels and cats.  As you can see below, she isn't afraid to get muddy in pursuit of her catch!


She loves other dogs, and is a great judge of dog character.  On the trails she knows what new dogs to approach and what ones to avoid.  While she used to love to run and play, now she just tends to like to be around the others in the backyard, sniffing and poking through the grass, leaving the rough and tumble stuff to the youngsters.


She's 7 years old, full of life and amazingly beautiful.  I don't like watching her black patch turn grey, which seems to be happening much too fast, but she's young in spirit and energy.  There hasn't been a day that I regret finding her and adopting her.  She's my dog, and I love her.

7 comments:

  1. YAY for Daisy! & for your beautifully written blog!

    I am looking forward to the post about that GORGEOUS pup next to Daisy in the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely post! My dog is the opposite of a cuddler. So many other GREAT qualities though, so he and I do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for stopping by. We just love pitties at our house (and Chi's too). We have followed you in google reader and would love if you would follow us too!

    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each dog is a special friend. I love them all
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think, if I can choose a favourite of your dogs, that Daisy is it. She is such a sweet girl and at 7 years young she has ages (decades in doggy years) left to chase squirrels and curl up at your feet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daisy's AWESOME! She reminds us a lot of our Theo (except for the loving other dogs part!). Thanks for visiting our blog--we look forward to reading your blog, too!

    JNTR

    ps
    We really love your Etsy shop, too! In fact, we discovered it even before we saw your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. To sum it up in one word, Daisy is a dear!

    ReplyDelete